Sunday, July 4, 2010

Cathedrals.

This past week, we did a lot of traveling to some of the greatest cathedrals in the world.
And I loved every second of it.

Wednesday, we took a field trip to St. Paul's Cathedral. I have never been to St. Paul's Cathedral before, so I was very excited to go. It is the second biggest cathedral in the world next to St. Peter's in Vatican City. Words cannot describe how beautiful this cathedral is. The mosaic ceilings were incredible and the architecture just amazed me. Christopher Wren clearly knew what he was doing. One of my favorite parts of St.Paul's was climbing up the 500 stairs to the top of the dome. We could see the whole city of London from the top! It was a long journey, but definitely worth it!




Friday we took our first day trip out to Canterbury and Cambridge. It was so interesting to see the ruins of the monastery in Canterbury, and the beautiful cathedral that stands today. There is so much history and I loved learning about it. After we went to Canterbury, we took a coach to Cambridge University. Cambridge is the 4th oldest college in the world! The campus is huge and is surrounded by a moat that is just gorgeous. We went to a service in King's College Chapel to hear the world-famous Chapel choir that consists of about 20 boys between the ages of 8-18. I honestly was shocked with how good they were. The music was breathtaking.
The Chapel features the world's largest fan vaulting, and spectacular stained glass windows.
It was beautiful.
(I am obsessed with Roman and Gothic architecture if you can't tell)



Can't wait for our trips next week!
And Happy 4th America!

2 comments:

  1. I am super jealous right now. Kings college choir is my favorite!! So happy that u have this opportunity. You look beautiful! Girls trip next yr ok? And I'm not letting grandma take my place this time! Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Most of those sentences are completely Niki-original! haha, Cute post!

    ReplyDelete